“90% of top performers are considered to be highly self-aware” – Forbes
The Insights Discovery® colour model is a development tool based on the psychology of CG Jung and is validated by the British Psychological Society. The model uses four colours to represent observable behaviour patterns. These can be measured by the Insights Discovery evaluator, the completion of which produces an Insights Discovery Personal Profile.
The profile is offered in over 30 languages (see end) and over four million people in the world have experienced one to date (2019). The simple and accessible colour model helps demonstrate how differently we all prefer to interact with the world around us and each other. These differences can cause misunderstanding and frustration but, once understood and appreciated, can be turned into the obvious strength that complementary styles and perspectives can bring. The colour model starts us on this journey of understanding.
The Insights Discovery Personal Profile describes our preferences with considerable detail and insight. Receiving it provides an opportunity to:
- Reflect on who you are, how you are being and the extent to which you are currently getting as much out of life as you would like.
- Get some feedback. How we think we are being is not necessarily what others see, so using the profile to get some feedback is an important and very useful exercise.
- Start conversations with others who have profiles about how each can do something differently in order to improve the relationship.
- If the whole team has profiles, start to talk about how better to use everybody’s individual strengths for an improvement in both working atmosphere and team outputs.
How it works
Individuals take 15 minutes to complete a 25-frame online questionnaire of statements from 100 word pairs. The resulting Personal Profile is all about them and has chapters (more detail below) which outline:
- Personal style, interaction with others and decision-making
- Strengths, weaknesses, blind spots and value to the team
- Management style
- Strategies for effective communication
- Management style
- Sales strengths and weaknesses
- Time management and creativity
- Suggestions for development
Just as we are all unique as people, every single Insights Discovery Personal Profile is different. Individuals tend to find the profile most useful if they use it as part of team-building, leadership development and coaching programmes. The profile is versatile and in-depth enough to help individuals through a wide range of issues, changes and growth.
The Management chapter is invaluable for both managers and reports. It enables managers to consider their own management and leadership style as well as the needs of those they manage. This chapter explores the Ideal Environment, Needs in Being Managed, Motivation & Management Style.
Practical Application; appraisals, disciplinaries, change programmes, environment, team-working, one-to-ones, leadership, train the trainer, talent management, culture.
The Personal Achievement chapter explores how an individual can grow and improve in different areas of personal achievement.It can form an integral part of a Personal Effectiveness programme and/or support a one-to-one coaching programme. The chapter includes Living on Purpose, Life & Time Management, Personal Creativity, Life Long Learning & Learning Style.
Practical Application; one-to-one coaching, graduate programmes, talent management, work/life balance, goal alignment, career management, motivation, creativity programmes, out placement, time management.
The Effective Selling chapter is helpful for anyone whose role involves selling or influencing people. It is an ideal component for a sales training programme and an excellent coaching tool for sales managers to use with their team members. The chapter explores Before the Sale Begins, Identifying Needs, Proposing, Handling Buyer Resistance, Gaining Commitment, Follow-up and Follow-through & Sales Preference indicators.
Practical Application; managing sales performance, gap analysis of strengths and weaknesess, sales development and training programmes, group coaching/team dynamics, one-to-one coaching, recognising type and adapting, account management, presentation skills training, business development, internal customers/cross department working.
The Interview chapter is a one-page supplement that offers pertinent statements and allows an individual to reflect and action plan against elements of their behaviour that they might find challenging. Using this chapter helps an individual to establish their self-awareness levels in terms of both strengths and areas for development. Due to the changes in GDPR legistlation, this chapter is no longer used for external selection.
Practical Application; stretching questions for self improvement.
The Insights Discovery system is built on the language of colour. Four colours are used to describe distinct personality preferences: Fiery Red, Sunshine Yellow, Earth Green and Cool Blue. It’s this simple and accessible language which makes the Profile so easy to remember and share with others.
Fiery Red: Strong-minded and focused on results, Fiery Red energy shows up as a strong decision-maker, keen to set the bar high and move things along.
Sunshine Yellow: Radiating enthusiasm and encouraging participation, people with a lot of Sunshine Yellow energy tend to relish the company of others and desire to be involved.
Earth Green: Individuals with a high amount of Earth Green energy are expert listeners, warm and approachable and genuinely interested in the welfare of others.
Cool Blue: With a desire to know and understand the world around them, those with a Cool Blue preference like space and time to consider all the facts before making a decision.
Each person is a unique mix of all four colours and it’s this combination that determines an individual’s personal style, how they react to situations and how they like to behave at work. Start your journey by playing our interactive game, and find out more about the colour energies here.
The Insights Discovery evaluator not only offers an extensive amount of narrative that describes the individual but also measures their use of the four colour energies on three different levels:
- The conscious graph shows the image of you that you are ‘consciously’ projecting when interacting with others.
- The less conscious graph shows the more instinctive and relaxed you, the you when you are not controlling the way you present yourself to the world
- The preference flow gives a visual interpretation of which preferences you are consciously putting effort into using for your ‘work role’
The Team Wheel
As well as measuring each person’s use of the Insights 4-colour behavioural preferences, the Insights online evaluator additionally enables the construction of a “Team Wheel”, allowing for a very visual interpretation of:
- Possible strains and stresses between individual team members – how do we turn difference from a possible frustration into a team strength?
- Strengths and possible weaknesses of how the team currently operates – what are we not doing, what could we be doing better?
- An external perspective – how do we look to other internal teams central to our overall effectiveness? What could we be doing differently to build more effective collaborations across departments?
Below you will find The Colour Works Team Wheel. We use this to frame and sense-check our meetings, communications and decision-making.
The Colour Works
The Insights Discovery Personal Profile lies at the heart of what we do. We use it because nothing comes close to offering such immediate impact and return on investment. The awareness and meaningful language the model brings gives teams and leaders a framework with which to engage, challenge and build trust, whether the journey be a brief networking presentation or a year-long people development strategy. The depth of information in the profile helps teams to understand each other and work together in harmony, as they bring the language of colour from workshops with The Colour Works back to the workplace.
English, Bulgarian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French (France), French (Canada), German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian Latin, Slovenian, Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Mexico), Swedish, Turkish