Questions are an invaluable form of communication, to name a few there are open, closed, probing, leading, echoing, clear and double binding structures, it’s an art all by itself. But how do we know we are asking the right question in the right way?
Rather than trying to over complicate the situation, below is a brief summary of some top tips on the preferred questioning approach of our dominant colour energies.
Fiery Red – BE BRIEF, BE BRIGHT, BE GONE!
- Be quick and focus on his/her goals
- Watch for impatience or interruption
- Ask direct questions – ‘What do you think?’
- Expect a YES or NO answer
Sunshine Yellow – INVOLVE ME!
- Be quick and enthusiastic
- Avoid long silences
- Ask a variety of open questions
- Use stories, discussion and ideas
- Agree specifics
Earth Green – SHOW ME YOU CARE!
- Be patient and supportive
- Allow time for reflection
- Ask open questions – ‘How do you feel?’
- Show you care about him/her personally
Cool Blue – GIVE ME THE DETAILS!
- Be clear and precise
- Expect long silences
- Don’t ask multiple questions
- Give him/her time to reflect
- Avoid flippancy
After all, it’s not what you say, it’s HOW you say it!
Click here to read up on behavioural type and change. Follow these links for a beginner's guide to the Insights colour energies, virtual working, stress and mindfulness